Activities for Nutrition
Submit your All About Me ideas!!
- Discuss why we need food. Name some foods that will help us grow strong and
healthy. Guide the students to name foods from all the food groups.
- Sample healthy snacks such as:
cubes of cheese
celery stuffed with peanut butter
- Food Group Sorting- Encourage children to bring in empty food containers.
The food containers can be sorted into food groups.
- Paper Plate Meals- Children cut pictures of food from magazines including all
the food groups. Paste on a paper plate to represent a balanced meal.
- Food Art Activity- Using 4 cups of flour, 1 cup salt, and 1 1/2 cups water, make a
dough to use in creating free-form foods. Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large
bowl. Divide the dough so that each child has a generous handful. Ask them to knead the
dough until it is pliable, about five minutes. Then the children can mold the dough
into food shapes: an apple, a carrot, doughnut, roll, ice-cream cone, etc. Use
craft sticks or toothpicks to define the features of the foods. Place the dough
shapes on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for about two hours. Paint the foods.
After the foods have dried, you may want to spray them with a fixative. These could
be made into refrigerator magnets by gluing a magnet onto the flat side of each piece.
- Food Place Mats- Ask children to bring in labels, stickers, and cutout pieces of boxes
from their favorite foods. Have them select a few labels, etc. from each of the food groups.
Give each child a 9" X 12" piece of construction paper. Have them arrange their labels, etc. onto
the paper and glue. Laminate the finished collages or cover both sides with clear plastic
adhesive. Trim the edges evenly. Let the children use these placemats at snacktime. Instead of the
stickers, labels, etc., food pictures from magazines could be used.
- Use these recipes from the food groups to help teach
the children about a well-balanced meal.
- Try the printable Food Crossword Puzzle!
- Try the online Interactive Food Crossword Puzzle!
Back to All About Me
Back to Thematic Pages
Free Printables for Winter
·Christmas Tree 2
·Valentine Color 1
·Valentine Color 2
·Valentine Color 3
·Valentine Color 4
·George Washington Color 1
·George Washington Color 2
·George Washington Color 3
·Abraham Lincoln Color 1
·Abraham Lincoln Color 2
·Abraham Lincoln Color 3
·Bear Lined Paper I
·Bear Lined Paper II
·Bear Head Band
·Abraham Lincoln Writing Paper
·George Washington Writing Paper
·Ice Skating Writing Paper
·Ice Hockey Writing Paper
·Snow Skiing Writing Paper
***Parents and Teachers***
Click on the banner below to find great educational sites!!
Education and family-site webmasters, join the 100 Top Sites for Teacher and Parent Resources (TAP)!
Make your pet a STAR!! Send in pet pictures and stories and I will post them!! Click on the banner below
to see the PET STARS!!