12" x 18" orange construction paper
9" x 12" green construction paper
red, yellow, and black construction paper scraps
1) Demonstrate to your child how to fold the orange paper in half to make a 6" x 18" rectangle. With a ruler, measure 2" in from the open edge and draw an 18" line across the paper. Then draw lines 1" apart between the fold of the paper and the 18" line.
2) Cut on the shorter lines, starting at the fold.
3) Unfold the paper, bend it into a cylinder, and paste the side edges together.
4) To make a handle for the lantern, cut 1 1/2" x 12" strip of green construction paper, staple the strip in an arc to the top edge of the lantern.
5) Make eyes, nose and mouth for the lantern, using scraps of red, yellow and black construction paper, a black marker and your child's imagination!!